Zucchini and Cheddar Cheese Filo Tart
- 10 sheets of filo pastry
- ½ cup Red Island High Heat Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 large zucchini, thinly sliced into rounds
- 9 eggs
- 350ml cream
- 3 tsp of sea salt
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 small zucchini cut into ribbons
- Small handful of fresh mint leaves
- ½ red chilli thinly sliced
- Juice of half a lemon
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Line a 28 x 18 x 5 cm baking tin with baking paper, letting the baking paper overhang by 5-6 cm on each side.
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees fan forced
- Line your baking tray with the filo pastry, liberally brushing each sheet with Red Island High Heat Extra Virgin Olive Oil before placing into the baking tin.
- In alternate layers add the zucchini rounds, cheddar cheese and a pinch of sea salt until you have used all your ingredients. Be sure to make sure the ingredients are spread evenly throughout the tin, you want to make sure there are no big clumps of zucchini or cheese when you bite into it.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the eggs and cream using a whisk. Pour into the tart base before giving the tart one last drizzle of Red Island High Heat Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a season of sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper before placing into the oven and cooking for 40-45 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown on top. You may have to turn the dish through the cooking process if your oven has a hot spot to ensure the pastry doesn’t burn.
- Remove the tart from the oven and allow to cool completely on a cake rack before turning out and serving. Carefully using the overhanging baking paper lift the tart out of the tin and place onto a serving dish before gently sliding the baking paper out from under the tart.
- In a small mixing bowl add the zucchini ribbons, lemon juice, chilli and mint and toss to combine. Season with a pinch of sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper before serving with the zucchini tart. Best served on the day it is made and at room temperature.