Orange Polenta Cake
- 1 ½ cups of self-raising flour
- ¾ cup of caster sugar
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ cup polenta
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups of Red Island Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 ½ cups of smooth ricotta, plus extra
- Juice and zest of 1 large orange
- ¼ cup flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp honey, plus extra
- ¼ cup boiling water
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees Celsius fan-forced.
- Grease and line a 24cm springform cake tin.
- To a large mixing bowl add the flour, almond meal, polenta and sugar mixing thoroughly until the dry ingredients are evenly combined.
- To a separate smaller mixing bowl add the eggs, ricotta, Red Island Extra Virgin Olive Oil and orange zest. Using a whisk mix the ingredients together until you have 1 uniform wet mix.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients before pouring in the wet ingredients. Using a spatula (or wooden spoon) mix the ingredients until a thick batter forms.
- Place the batter into your lined cake tin and smooth the top before sprinkling with the flaked almonds. Place the cake into the oven and cook for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
- Meanwhile make the orange syrup. In a small heat proof bowl add the honey, boiling water and orange juice. Whisk the ingredients together thoroughly until the honey dissolves. Set aside until the cake is cooked.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place onto a cooling rack. While the cake is still hot, slowly pour the orange syrup over the top allowing it to soak into the cake rather than running down the sides.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before removing and serving.
- Serve with a dollop of ricotta that has been sweetened with a touch of honey.