Family Roast Chicken
1 large whole chicken (around 1.5 kg)
1 lemon, halves
3 cloves of garlic, finely diced
4 cups of buttermilk
bunch of thyme
¼ cup of Red Island Extra Virgin Olive Oil
salt and pepper
- Firstly, wash the whole chicken under cold water, and pat dry. In a bowl big enough to fit the whole chicken, plus the 4 cups of buttermilk, place the chicken breast down, add in the diced garlic and the four cups of butter milk. Make sure the most of the chicken covered with the brine. Cover and put in fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius
- Once it has been in the buttermilk brine, remove and pat down with paper towel and put, breast side up on a roasting rack, in a light oiled large roasting tray. Discard the buttermilk.
- In the cavity of the bird, insert the cut lemon and the thyme, this can stick out a little if need be.
- Brush the whole chicken with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and season with salt and pepper, and roast for 1 hour
- Or until the juices run clear if the thigh is spiked with a metal skewer.
- Cover and stand for 10 minutes, transfer to serving plate, and pour over the juices from the pan.