Chicken Katsu Bowl
- 1 large chicken breast, split in half and tenderised flat
- 2 cups panko crumbs
- 1 cup plain flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Red Island Heat Stable Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup finely shredded purple cabbage
- ½ cup finely shredded green cabbage
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp finely sliced spring onions
- 3 tbsp satay sauce
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts
- Lemon cheeks to serve
- Firstly, begin by crumbing the chicken breast. Place the flour, eggs and panko crumbs into separate containers big enough to fit the chicken breast. Begin by dredging the chicken into the flour before placing into the eggs mix and lastly into the panko crumbs. At each stage of crumbing be sure that the chicken is completely covered. Set aside while you get the rest of the bowl ready.
- In a large sauté pan add 1cm of Red Island Heat Stable Extra Virgin Olive Oil and heat over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes before beginning.
- Once the oil is up to temperature place the chicken pieces into the oil being careful not to splash hot oil on yourself. Cook the chicken piece for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Once the chicken is cooked drain on paper towel and set aside while you assemble the bowl.
- In a large non-reactive bowl add the cabbage and red onion along with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and toss the ingredients together until evenly combined.
- Divide the rice between 2 bowls before topping with the cabbage mixture and slicing the chicken breast into 2cm wide strips and placing on top.
- Garnish each bowl with a sprinkle of roasted peanuts and serve with a side of satay sauce.