BBQ Spatchcock of Chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- 3 tbsp Red Island BBQ Drizzle Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ iceberg lettuce cut into wedges
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cut into slices
- ½ cup of yoghurt
- Lemon cheeks to serve
- Preheat your BBQ or Kettle to medium-high heat.
- Remove the backbone from the chicken with a pair of kitchen shears and spread the chicken out flat onto a clean board cut side down, you may have to press your palm onto the breastbone to help flatten.
- Combine the spices, Red Island BBQ Drizzle Extra Virgin Olive Oil, salt and pepper into a large non-reactive bowl. Check and adjust the seasoning of the marinade at the point.
- Place the chicken into the bowl and turn through the marinade until completely covered. It is best if you allow this to sit for an hour before cooking however, you will achieve similar results if you cook it right away.
- Place the chicken breast side down over the hottest part of your BBQ and grill for 10-15 minutes or until char marks begin to appear. Reduce the heat to medium and close the lid, cook for 40-45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked to your liking.
- Just before removing flip the chicken over on the grill and cook for another 2-3 minutes before resting.
- While the chicken rests combine the fresh cucumber and lettuce salad into a serving bowl and season the yoghurt with a pinch of salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Place the chicken onto a serving platter along with the salad, yoghurt and lemon wedges.