Barbecued Calamari with Homemade Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 5 calamari tubes cleaned and scored. Ask your fishmonger to do this for you if you can’t
- 2 tbsp Red Island BBQ Drizzle Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice of 3 limes plus zest of 1
- 120g brown sugar
- 10g dried chilli
- 10g fish sauce
- 30 g sea salt plus a pinch
- Preheat your BBQ to high heat and allow to come to temperature for 4-5 minutes before beginning.
- In a small pot combine the lime juice, chilli, fish sauce, brown sugar and a pinch of salt and place over the heat. Bring the pot to the boil and simmer for five minutes before removing and allowing to cool.
- Meanwhile make the lime salt. In a small nonreactive bowl add the salt and lime zest before pinching the mixture between your fingers to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- Season the calamari with Red Island BBQ Drizzle Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a pinch of the lime salt before placing on the hottest part of your BBQ and cook for 2 minutes only turning in the last 30 seconds. Remove the calamari from the BBQ and place onto a serving dish.
- Season the calamari with another pinch of lime salt, sweet chilli sauce and a good drizzle of Red Island BBQ Drizzle before serving immediately.
Note- the recipe for the lime salt makes a few serves so be sure to store in an airtight container and use on your next grilled seafood dish.